It's great to be back for Week 6 of the One Room Challenge!
We didn't get a ton done the past couple of weeks as we were celebrating my mini me design assistant's birthday.
I still can't believe he's now 11 years old!!!
I also shifted gears and helped my husband and my dad put sheet rock up on the ceilings in the addition. AND, I also refinished a trunk for one of my clients.
Even though the past couple of weeks were busy with birthday celebrations and projects, we still got some items checked off the One Room Challenge to-do list:
1) We got a wreath for the front of the door.
Y'all. I honestly didn't think it would be that hard for me to find something I loved that didn't break my budget. I scoured the interwebs and didn't find anything I liked. I went to several stores wearing my mask and trying to follow mazes on the floor for social distancing purposes looking for wreaths.
Then, one day, while we were out doing a Target run, I had the idea to go JoAnn Fabrics since it's right down the street. Well, wouldn't you know? I found this little beauty...
And, as luck would have it, this wreath is normally $49.99 and I got it for $14.98! What a steal!
2) We've got a doormat for the front door.
On the Target run I described earlier, I found my new doormat:
I'm still debating on whether or not to do a layered doormat where I make/buy another doormat/outdoor rug to go underneath. Something like this:
The jury's still out on if I go with the layered look or place my doormat as is.
3) We've started work on the accent wall.
So, after carefully surveying the pallet wood we were planning on using to create the accent wall, we learned we didn't have enough of it and much of what we could potentially use was very much worse for the wear. The silver lining is that we've got plenty of firewood for our neighbors when they have bonfires in their backyard, so there's that!
We decided to buy wood from Home Depot (I'm telling you, they need a frequent flyers program because we've been there A LOT over the past couple of months) and treat it so it would still look like whitewashed, weathered wood.
First, we stained the boards with a grey stain to start that "weathered" look.
Next, we'll thin out some white paint with a little water and "wash" it onto the boards. Then, we'll sand random spots to give more of the weathered look I'm looking for. And finally, they'll be ready to install!
That's my update for this week. We have a couple more rooms within the addition to add sheet rock to the ceiling. After that, it's back to the entry way. I'm hoping for some actual progress pictures next week. As always, I encourage you to check out the other participants and their progress as well. You can find them here.
Until next time...
Happy Designing! - Angela :)